Year-End Financial Review: Crucial for Tax Planning
- 2nd January 2024
It is always vital to review your financial goals ahead of the end of the tax year.
It is that time of year when you need to make sure your business and personal finances are in the strongest possible position for whatever the future may hold. This includes planning to make the most of the tax-saving opportunities available to you, particularly ahead of the tax year-end. There are many ways your accountant can help you identify suitable tax planning measures to help mitigate personal tax liabilities, increase your business’s profitability and maximise your personal wealth.
It is essential to act now in order to minimise your tax bill and maximise tax reliefs – don’t leave it until 5 April 2024.
There are a number of tax-efficient planning options you might wish to implement before the deadline.
- Could you transfer income to your partner to minimise higher and top-rate taxation next year, to maximise the tax-free savings and dividend income limits, or to avoid losing child benefit?
- Have you considered the timing of dividends and bonuses to minimise tax rates?
- Have you used your annual CGT exempt amount by making any available disposals before 5 April 2024?
- Have you used this year's ISA allowance before 5 April 2024?
- Are you investing enough in your pension (or possibly a lifetime ISA) if you wish to, or have to, retire earlier than state pension age, which is likely to keep going up?
- If you are aged over 55, have you taken advice about the options for drawing your pension savings?
- Have you made gifts to use your annual IHT allowances?
- Are you considering any charitable gifts now or in your Will?
Talking to your accountant in good time will ensure that they can discuss the tax planning opportunities available to you and help you manage your cashflow by giving you early warnings of any tax payments due. Do get in touch if you would like to talk to us about how we can help you with your year-end tax planning.
Download our Year-End Tax Planning Brochure here.
All data and figures referred to in our news section are correct at the date of publishing and should not be relied upon as still current.